The animal is the cornerstone of our company. They provide protection, transportation, companionship and the healthy, delicious product we sell. We treat all our animals with patience, kindness and respect.
Health and welfare
- Our sheep, cattle, horses, and dogs receive routine and frequent visits from our two experienced veterinarians
- “Shed lambing” provides for individual care for each ewe and her lambs by our experienced staff
- Our ranch is certified to the highest possible standard, Animal Welfare Approved by A Greener World
Living in Nature
- Our sheep and lambs graze on wild, unfenced range, moving freely and selecting forage for themselves
- Our lambs are kept with their mothers for their entire lives
Sharing the landscape
- At Lava Lake, we share our ranch with a large diversity of wildlife. For us, animal well-being extends to wild populations.
- Extensive restoration on our properties provides habitat to native species
- Our grazing protocol improves the conditions of the range for wildlife
- We practice non-lethal deterrent methods to minimize interactions between livestock and predators, collaborating with the Wood River Wolf Project to promote coexistence with predators
Respecting the animal
- We allow no part of the animals we harvest to go to waste