This classic lamb stew is easy to prepare and makes a hearty meal with just some bread and salad on the side.
Here’s our newest herding puppy, Rufous, who would love to get his paws on some yummy Lava Lake stew for supper!
- 1 Lava Lake Lamb boneless shoulder OR
- 2 Lava Lake Lamb sirloins
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Olive oil or canola oil
- 1 Large brown onion, diced
- 4 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, cut in bite-sized chunks
- 6 Carrots, cut in thick rounds
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup Guinness Beer (or substitute beef broth)
- 3 cups Beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Dried rosemary, or a sprig of fresh
Trim excess fat from lamb and cut into 1 1/2" chunks, larger if you prefer.
Pat lamb with paper towels to remove excess moisture and toss in flour and sugar.
Brown lamb on all sides in a small amount of hot oil in small batches and set aside.
Add more oil to pan if needed and sauce onions and garlic until tender.
Combine browned lamb, onions and garlic with broth, beer, and seasonings in a large Dutch oven, heavy pan or slow cooker. Simmer on low heat for 1 1/2 hours, then add potatoes and carrots and cook for another hour. Add peas at the end -- they will cook quickly! If using a slow cooker, set on low and add vegetables after 3 hours; cook 4-5 hours total.
Serve with sourdough or Irish soda bread and your favorite Irish beverage!