There’s nothing like classic Shepherd’s Pie when you want warming comfort food!
This takes minutes to prepare and is a healthy way to enjoy meat & potatoes.
- olive oil or canola oil
- 2 packages ground Lava Lake Lamb (1.5 lbs.)
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 cup beef broth (approximate)
- 2 cups frozen peas & carrots OR 1 cup frozen peas and 1 cup fresh diced carrots
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes peeled (or not) and cooked in boiling water til mashable
- dash Cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup milk or half & half
- cheddar cheese (try Irish Dubliners)
Brown the lamb in a small amount of hot oil and set aside. Add more oil (about 1 Tablespoon) to the pan and brown the onion until tender.
Combine the lamb, onions, carrots, peas and broth, adding salt, pepper and rosemary to taste. (If using fresh carrots, blanch them briefly in boiling water til tender.) Adjust broth to make sure the mixture is moist but not too soupy. Put mixture into a 9x13" baking pan.
Prepare the mashed potatoes (potatoes, spices, butter & milk) and spread over lamb mixture. Grate some cheese on top and bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes, until the lamb mixture is bubbly and potatoes browned a bit.
Serve with a side salad and your favorite Irish beverage!